Welcome to Statistical and Thermal Physics, a collection of information and resources for teachers of Statistical and Thermal Physics. The resources in this collection are supplements to standard Statistical and Thermal Physics textbooks and include student activities, background information, and applications. New users may create an account to personalize their use of the Statistical and Thermal Physics web site. This will allow them to suggest resources, add comments, and organize resources.
The elusive chemical potential
This article provides three "meanings" for the chemical potential and gives two applications to illustrate the chemical potential in action.
Text, simulation and other resources for Statistical and Thermal Physics by H. Gould and J. Tobochnik.
- Chapter 1: From Microscopic to Macroscopic Behavior
- Chapter 2: Thermodynamic Concepts and Processes
- Chapter 3: Concepts of Probability
- Chapter 4: The Methodology of Statistical Mechanics
- Chapter 5: Magnetic Systems
- Chapter 6: Many-Particle Systems
- Chapter 7: Chemical Potential and Phase Equilibria
- Chapter 8: Classical Gases and Liquids
- Chapter 9: Landau Theory and the Renormalization Group
Molecular Dynamics Demonstration Model
This model is constructed using the Lennard-Jones potential truncated at a distance of 3 molecular diameters. It was created using the Easy Java Simulations (Ejs) modeling tool which allows to you to easily examine or modify the simulation if Ejs is installed.