APS Excellence in Physics Education Award
November 2019

Education Prize Logo
Science SPORE Prize
November 2011

NSF Logo
The Open Source Physics Project is supported by NSF DUE-0442581.

User Comments on Data Tool JS (7)

Return to Item Detail Page
Login to comment

Can't use Data Tool JS

Author: Ibrahima Fall
Posted: July 22, 2020 at 10:49PM

Bonsoir,

Thanks for making the conversion of "DataTool" from java to JavaScript.

However, when I try to open "Data Tool JS" by clicking on "index.html", I have this following alert popup:

"There was a problem loading local files. Check to see that your browser has been set up to read local files.

--Developers: Override J2S.cantLoadLocalFiles to customize this message."

best regards.

I. Fall

» reply

Re: Can't use Data Tool JS

Author: Wolfgang
Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 12:40PM

Again, pages converted from Java to JavaScript should be run from a server but you can use Firefox if you want to run them from your local file system.

1) Type the following into the Firefox Developer edition  URL field:  about:config
2) Set the Strict Origin Policy to false:  security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy;false

Close and reopen the Firefox browser and your JS pages should run.

» reply

Re: Re: Can't use Data Tool JS

Author: Ibrahima Fall
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 4:25AM

> On Jul 25, 2020, Wolfgang posted:
>
> Again, pages converted
> from Java to JavaScript should be run from a server
> but you can use Firefox if you want to run them from
> your local file system.
>
> 1) Type the following into
> the Firefox Developer edition  URL field:  about:confi
>
> 2) Set the Strict Origin Policy to false:  security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy;false
>
> Close
> and reopen the Firefox browser and your JS pages should
> run.

Understood.
Thank you very much.

Regards

» reply

JS security settings

Author: Wolfgang
Posted: July 23, 2020 at 9:02AM

This JavaScript program runs if is loaded from a web server.  However, you must lower the security setting on your browser to allow local JavaScript access if you wish to run it from your desktop without using a server.

» reply

Re: JS security settings

Author: Ibrahima Fall
Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 9:18AM

> On Jul 23, 2020, Wolfgang posted:
>
> This JavaScript
> program runs if is loaded from a web server.  However,
> you must lower the security setting on your browser
> to allow local JavaScript access if you wish to run
> it from your desktop without using a server.


Thank you Wolfgang, I will try.

best regards

» reply

Re: Re: JS security settings

Author: Wolfgang
Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 9:27AM

JavaScript Data Tool and the conversion from Java to JavaScript is still beta and we are still fixing minor bugs.  For now, it would be best if you would link to the ComAPDRE version as we will update the code.

» reply

Re: Re: Re: JS security settings

Author: Ibrahima Fall
Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 5:56AM

> On Jul 23, 2020, Wolfgang posted:
>
> JavaScript Data
> Tool and the conversion from Java to JavaScript is
> still beta and we are still fixing minor bugs.  For
> now, it would be best if you would link to the ComAPDRE
> version as we will update the code.

Thank you again.
I tried to link to CompaDRE version (lowering my browser security to the minimum). The only thing I had was a white square (under the "Data Tool" title) and the text under the square.

best regards

» reply

The OSP Network:
Open Source Physics - Tracker - EJS Modeling
Physlet Physics
Physlet Quantum Physics