Education Prize Logo
Science SPORE Prize
November 2011

NSF Logo
The Open Source Physics Project is supported by NSF DUE-0442581.

Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % post and replies

Return to the Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % thread
Login to post to this thread

Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % - August 11 at 11:27:AM
Florian Westen
5 Posts

Hello,

I have a big problem with my tracker files. I analysed a video, saved it as a .trk file and tried to reopen it. It loads all the images (6600) and then the loading screen just gets stuck at 79 % - nothing else happening afterwards.
I can also not exit Tracker afterwards - I have to end the process via task manager.

Hope to get an answer soon.

Cheers, Flo


Replies to Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 %

Re: Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % - August 11 3:51:PM
Douglas Brown Avatar
Douglas Brown
251 Posts

Hi Flo, do you have some very long tracks or many tracks? Also, what Tracker version are you using?  Thanks. Doug


> I have a big problem with my tracker files.
> I analysed a video, saved it as a .trk file and tried
> to reopen it. It loads all the images (6600) and then
> the loading screen just gets stuck at 79 % - nothing
> else happening afterwards.
> I can also not exit Tracker
> afterwards - I have to end the process via task manager



Re: Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % - August 12 1:47:AM
Florian Westen
5 Posts

Hey Doug,

thanks for your answer.
I have 6 Tracks, luckily it is working for now.
After I went into Edit|Preferences, Runtime tab I set the current version from default to 5.1.1 - is this necessary or is it automatically preset normally?
And I also set the Ram to 1080 mb - before I typed in 5000 mb - Tracker told me, that the maximum ram is something about 1300 mb or so and that it could not be set higher. Now I typed in the 1080 mb and tracker shows me 1044 mb ram in the top right corner.

Well, with the settings to version 5.1.1 and the 1080 mb ram it is magically working now.
Do you have any further tips for analysing large videos (4 minutes long, about 3 gb of size) regarding the settings?
Is it useful to reduce the fps from 30 to 10 to reduce the data size? I thought so.

Cheers
Flo



Re: Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % - August 12 1:51:AM
Florian Westen
5 Posts

Tracker sometimes keeps telling me, that it has not got enough ram while playing the video.
Is there any way to set the ram higher than 1450 mb?



Re: Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % - August 12 10:51:AM
Douglas Brown Avatar
Douglas Brown
251 Posts

Sorry, the maximum available RAM is determined by Java itself, not Tracker.


> Tracker sometimes keeps telling me, that it has not
> got enough ram while playing the video.
> Is there
> any way to set the ram higher than 1450 mb?



Re: Not loading .trk files - stuck at 79 % - August 12 10:48:AM
Douglas Brown Avatar
Douglas Brown
251 Posts

When the version is set to default it normally uses the most recent version so changing it to 5.1.1 probably made no difference.

When analyzing large videos the action that makes the biggest difference is to increase the step size which skips frames (maybe that's what you mean by reducing fps from 30 to 10, but this is NOT done by changing the fps setting in the clip control). For example, setting the step size to 5 is equivalent to having a video 5 times shorter. This decreases the time resolution of the data of course but unless the motion is jerky or has large accelerations it doesn't matter very much.  You can also reduce the pixel dimensions of the video if the spatial resolution is not critical (convert the video to smaller dimensions with a video converter or use the resize filter in Tracker itself).

Hope this helps.  Doug


> thanks for your answer.
> I have 6 Tracks,
> luckily it is working for now.
> After I went into
> Edit|Preferences, Runtime tab I set the current version
> from default to 5.1.1 - is this necessary or is it
> automatically preset normally?
> And I also set the
> Ram to 1080 mb - before I typed in 5000 mb - Tracker
> told me, that the maximum ram is something about 1300
> mb or so and that it could not be set higher. Now
> I typed in the 1080 mb and tracker shows me 1044 mb
> ram in the top right corner.
>
> Well, with the settings
> to version 5.1.1 and the 1080 mb ram it is magically
> working now.
> Do you have any further tips for analysing
> large videos (4 minutes long, about 3 gb of size)
> regarding the settings?
> Is it useful to reduce the
> fps from 30 to 10 to reduce the data size? I thought so.



The OSP Network:
Open Source Physics - Tracker - EJS Modeling
Physlet Physics
Physlet Quantum Physics