Research/Internship Opportunity Detail Page
Space Grant undergraduate research at Cornell University
|Primary Institution:||New York Space Grant Consortium|
|Job Duration:||8-10 weeks|
|Class Requirement:||Completed Freshman Year
|Minimum GPA:||3.0 out of 4.0|
|Discipline(s):||Astronomy; Astrophysics; Gravitation
Interdisciplinary Physics: Biological Physics; Quantum Information; Etc.
Various sciences, Various engineering
|Description:||The New York Space Grant Consortium will provide $4,500 stipends for undergraduate students to conduct science and engineering research for 8 to 10 weeks in the summer. World-class Cornell professors and researchers will mentor students in the following project areas:
[Click here to download Adobe Reader software]
- Graeme Bailey (Computer Science): "Exploration of Psychological Feedback Systems in Immersive Virtual Environments" and "Modelling Human Movement"
- Mark Campbell (Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering): "Human-Robotic Systems for Exploration"
- Kerry Cook (Earth & Atmospheric Sciences): "African Drought and Monsoon Breaks"
- James Lloyd (Astronomy): "Planets Orbiting the Smallest Stars"
- Matthew Pritchard (Earth & Atmospheric Sciences): "Monitoring Volcanic Deformation in the Andes from Space"
- Saul Teukolsky (Physics & Astronomy): "Computer Visualization of Black Holes from Supercomputer Simulations"
- Marjolein van der Meulen (Biomedical/Mechanical Engineering): "Bone Strength and Load-Bearing Function of the Skeleton"
- Charles Williamson (Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering): "The Aircraft Wake Phenomenon", "The Vortex-Induced Vibration Problem", and "Digital Particle Image Velocimetry Technique"
To receive Space Grant funding, undergraduate student must (1) be a United States citizen, (2) be a New York state resident or attend a New York college/university, and (3) be a rising junior or senior undergradate (outstanding rising sophomores may be considered).
>>Download the Cornell summer research application form (PDF file)
DEADLINES AND NOTIFICATION:
February 14, 2007 is the deadline for receipt of all applications and supporting materials in the NY Space Grant office. Student selections will be announced in March 2007.
Research/Internship Opportunity Contact Information
517 Space Sciences Bldg.
Ithaca, NY 14853-6801