Research/Internship Opportunity Detail Page
SPS SOCK, SPS Summer Internship
|Primary Institution:||Society of Physics Students|
|Affiliation:||American Institute of Physics|
|Job Duration:||9.5 Weeks, Summer 2011|
|Class Requirement:||soph - senior year
Physics Education Research
Plasmas and Beam Physics
Interdisciplinary Physics: Biological Physics; Quantum Information; Etc.
|Description:||The SPS SOCK
Science Outreach Catalyst Kits, or SOCKs, contain exploratory physics and science activities specifically designed for SPS Chapters and collegiate physics departments to use in outreach presentations to local elementary, middle and high school students. Interns are responsible for creating and testing activities and writing instructions for lessons and demonstrations. This year the theme is "A Century of Revolution", in celebration of 100 years since the discover of the nucleus.
• Completion of at least two years of college physics
• Interest in public outreach and informal education
• Ability to work well with pre-college students
• Ability to effectively communicate scientific topics to pre-college students
• Previous education outreach experience
• Excellent communication skills (including writing)
SPS intern positions based in Washington, DC are also available in science research, outreach, writing, and policy. See http://www.spsnational.org/programs/internships/ for details.
Daily commuting expenses
Research/Internship Opportunity Contact Information
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740