Research/Internship Opportunity Detail Page
University of California, Santa Barbara, REU
|Primary Institution:||University of California, Santa Barbara|
|Affiliation:||Materials Research Laboratory|
|Job Duration:||10 weeks|
|Class Requirement:||Completed Sophomore Year
Condensed Matter: Structure and Mechanical/Thermal Properties
Condensed Matter: Electronic Structure and Electromagnetic/Optical Properties
Elementary Particles and Fields
Fluid Dynamics and Gases
Plasmas and Beam Physics
Sound and Acoustics
Interdisciplinary Physics: Biological Physics; Quantum Information; Etc.
|Description:||Research Internships in Science and Engineering:
The Materials Research Laboratory (MRL), the Advanced Optical Materials IGERT Program, and the College of Engineering at the University of California Santa Barbara are seeking undergraduate science and engineering majors who are interested in pursuing a research experience. This internship program will bring undergraduate students from around the country to the UC Santa Barbara campus for a 10-week summer research experience . Interns will gain first-hand experience in scientific investigation in a dynamic, collaborative research environment. They will be matched individually with MRL, IGERT and College of Engineering faculty and graduate student lab mentors who will provide training and support. In addition to research, the interns also participate in weekly group meetings to develop oral presentation skills, attend special seminars and present their results at an end-of-summer poster session.
1. The Summer RISE program will run from June 20 to August 25, 2006.
2. Approximately 15 internships will be awarded in all areas of science or engineering. Awards will be concentrated in, but not limited to, the MRL, IGERT, and College of Engineering.
3. The stipend for undergraduate interns is $3,800 total for 10 weeks at 35 hrs/week.
4. We will provide up to $1000 for housing expenses, or arranged accommodations for free.
5. Travel costs up to $500 will be provided for travel to and from the UCSB campus.
Research/Internship Opportunity Contact Information
Materials Research Laboratory
UC Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106