How to Join the Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PTEC)
Institutions that are involved in preparing pre-service physics teachers are invited to join the Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PTEC). PTEC is a major component of the PhysTEC project, which is led by the American Physical Society and the American Association of Physics Teachers.
We understand that the future of both an educated, scientifically literate population, and of physics as a discipline, is dependent on high-quality teachers. Coalition members share innovative ideas, learn from national leaders in the field, and promote awareness of the importance of physics and physical science teacher education efforts. Please consider joining even if your institution is just beginning its work in teacher preparation — PTEC has much to offer members who are getting started, since planning can be much more effective through collaboration with other Coalition members.
PTEC offers two classes of membership. Colleges and universities that graduate physics teachers are eligible for institutional membership. Institutions such as national labs, non-profits, and other educational organizations that play supporting roles in pre-service teacher preparation but do not graduate physics teachers are eligible for affiliate membership. All members receive benefits, and are expected to update their PTEC.org profiles annually. Institutional members are also expected to provide data each year on the number of physics teachers graduating from their programs.
Coalition membership benefits include:
- Reduced fees to attend PTEC conferences and workshops
- Publication and dissemination opportunities
- Teacher education news and funding opportunities via the PTEC email list
- Advocacy from project leadership for teacher education programs
In order to apply for PTEC membership, please submit the following items to Renee Royal at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A completed PTEC membership application form, available at the bottom of this page.
- A statement of support from your institution's physics department head or nearest equivalent.
- An endorsement by your institution's physics department head or nearest equivalent of the Joint Statement on the Education of Future Teachers, which can be viewed on the APS website.
The statement of support and the endorsement can be sent in a single email to Renee Royal at email@example.com.
We look forward to working with you and your institution as we continue to promote excellence in physics and physical science teacher preparation. If you have any questions about PTEC, please contact Renee Royal using the information below.
American Physical Society
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740-3843