How to Join the Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PhysTEC)
Institutions that are involved in or wish to become involved in preparing pre-service physics teachers are invited to join the Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PhysTEC).
We understand that the future of both an educated, scientifically literate population, and of physics as a discipline, is dependent on high-quality teachers. Coalition members share innovative ideas, learn from national leaders in the field, and promote awareness of the importance of physics and physical science teacher education efforts.
PhysTEC members are:
- Colleges and universities that are actively engaged in preparing pre-service physics teachers.
- Colleges and universities that are committed to becoming part of the solution to resolve the physics teacher shortage.
- Colleges and universities that may be just beginning their work in teacher preparation.
Please consider joining even if your institution is just beginning its work in teacher preparation. PhysTEC has much to offer members who are getting started, since planning can be much more effective through collaboration with other Coalition members.
Regrettably, coalition membership is not currently available to high schools. PhysTEC strongly encourages high school teachers to become active members of the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT). AAPT is geared more toward in-service teachers and would be a more valuable resource to teachers and those who develop curricula for high school physics classes.
In order to apply for PhysTEC membership, please do the following:
- Complete the PhysTEC membership application form, available at the bottom of this page
- Send (email PhysTEC@aps.org) a letter from your institution's physics department head or nearest equivalent with the following: (a) a statement of support for becoming a PhysTEC member institution and (b) an endorsement of the Joint Statement on the Education of Future Teachers
We look forward to working with you and your institution as we continue to promote excellence in physics and physical science teacher preparation. If you have any questions about PhysTEC, please contact project staff at PhysTEC@aps.org.
PhysTEC Membership Application Form
In order to access and complete the PhysTEC Membership Application Form, please create a PhysTEC user account. This will take less than one minute. If you already have a PhysTEC account, you may login here.