How to Join the Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PhysTEC)
Institutions that are involved in preparing pre-service physics teachers are invited to join the Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PhysTEC). PhysTEC is led by the American Physical Society and the American Association of Physics Teachers.
We understand that the future of both an educated, scientifically literate population, and of physics as a discipline, is dependent on high-quality teachers. Coalition members share innovative ideas, learn from national leaders in the field, and promote awareness of the importance of physics and physical science teacher education efforts. Please consider joining even if your institution is just beginning its work in teacher preparation — PhysTEC has much to offer members who are getting started, since planning can be much more effective through collaboration with other Coalition members.
PhysTEC offers two classes of membership. Colleges and universities that graduate physics teachers are eligible for institutional membership. Institutions such as national labs, non-profits, and other educational organizations that play supporting roles in pre-service teacher preparation but do not graduate physics teachers are eligible for affiliate membership. All members receive benefits, and are expected to update their PhysTEC.org profiles annually. Institutional members are also expected to provide data each year on the number of physics teachers graduating from their programs.
Coalition membership benefits include:
- Reduced fees to attend PhysTEC conferences and workshops
- Publication and dissemination opportunities
- Teacher education news and funding opportunities via the PhysTEC email list
- Advocacy from project leadership for teacher education programs
In order to apply for PhysTEC membership, please submit the following items to Renee Royal at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A completed PhysTEC membership application form, available at the bottom of this page
- A statement of support from your institution's physics department head or nearest equivalent
- An endorsement by your institution's physics department head or nearest equivalent of the Joint Statement on the Education of Future Teachers, which can be viewed on the APS website
The statement of support and the endorsement can be sent in a single email to Renee Royal at email@example.com.
We look forward to working with you and your institution as we continue to promote excellence in physics and physical science teacher preparation. If you have any questions about PhysTEC, please contact Renee Royal using the information below.
American Physical Society
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740-3843
PhysTEC Membership Application Form
In order to access and complete the PhysTEC Membership Application Form, please create a PhysTEC user account. This will take less than one minute. If you already have a PhysTEC account, you may login here.