Supported Site Chicago State University: Publications & Talks
A Collaboration Between University and High School in Preparing Physics Teachers: Chicago State University's Teacher Immersion Institute
Mel S. Sabella1, Andrea G. Van Duzor1, Jennie Passehl2, and Kara Weisenburger3
1 Chicago State University, Chicago, IL
2 Perspectives High School of Technology, Chicago, IL
3 Harper High School, Chicago, IL
Physics Teacher Magazine.
The Physics Teacher -- May 2012 -- Volume 50, Issue 5, pp. 296
Presentations and Workshops
- Presentations related to the PhysTEC Project:
- Sabella, M., and Van Duzor, A., Emphasizing the professional nature of teaching: The CSU Noyce and PhysTEC Projects, 2011 AAPT Winter Meeting, Jacksonville, FL.
- Sabella, M., and Van Duzor, A., Implementing the PhysTEC Program at an Urban Comprehensive University, 2011 PTEC Conference, Austin, TX.
- Sabella, M., Creating a Sustainable Physics Pedagogy Course, 2011 PTEC Conference, Austin, TX (co-presenter).
- Moore, A. and Passhel, J., The PhysTEC program, Spring 2011 Illinois State Physics Project Meeting.
- Passhel, J., Weisenberger, K., Sabella, M., Van Duzor, A.,A Collaboration Between University and High School in Preparing Physics Teachers: Chicago State University's Teaching Immersion Institute; Department of Chemistry and Physics; presented at the 2012 Spring CSAAPT meeting.
- Van Duzor, A. et al., Student support structures in STEM: Examples from the Chicago Community, 2012 Spring Chicago Symposium Series Excellence in Teaching Mathematics and Science: Research and Practice.
- Sabella, M. and Van Duzor, A., Aiding preservice teachers in determining what math and science content is appropriate for their future students, 2012 Winter AAPT meeting, Ontario CA.
- Moore, E., Jemison, K., Sabella, M. and Van Duzor, A., The role of student culture in the science classroom; 2012 Winter AAPT meeting, Ontario CA.
- Sabella, M., The Cultural Toolkit of Physics Students on the Southside of Chicago; Florida International University in April 2012.
- (INVITED) Sabella, M., Van Duzor, A.G., Passehl, J. and K. Weisneburger, The role of community and professionalism in the preparation of physics teachers for the urban learning environment, presented at the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) Summer Conference, Philadelphia, PA July 28-August 1, 2012.
- Van Duzor, A. and Sabella, M., Science Education Internships for the Professional Development of Noyce Scholars at Chicago State University: Affordances and Constraints, Physics Education Research Conference, Philadelphia, PA, August 2012.
- (INVITED) Sabella, M., and Van Duzor, A., Cultural Toolkits in the Urban Physics Learning Community, Physics Education Research Conference, Philadelphia, PA, August 2012.
- (INVITED) Sabella, M. The Influence of Student Culture on Instructional Reform in Physics: An Example from Chicago State University, October 19, 2012, Purdue Univertsity, West Lafaette, IN.
- Williams, T., Tyler M., Van Duzor, A., Sabella, M., Improving Science Teacher Preparation through the APS PhysTEC and NSF Noyce Programs, March 2013, American Physical Society March Meeting and PhysTEC Meeting, Baltimore, MD.
- Passhel, J., Weisenberger, K., Sabella, M., Van Duzor, A., The High School Teacher's role in the preparation of future teachers: Exploring an Immersion Model, PhysTEC Meeting, March 2013, Baltimore, MD.
- Escuadro, E., Millan, J., Oladipo, J., Zoller, D., Sabella, M., Fostering Collaboration between the Two Year College and the University: An example from Chicago, PhysTEC Meeting, March 2013, Baltimore, MD.
- Workshops related to the PhysTEC Project:
- Robertson (SPU), Wiesenberger, Passehl, Sabella, Van Duzor; Immersing science students in the teaching process: The importance of multiple communities, PhysTEC Meeting, March 2013, Baltimore, MD.
- Sabella, Van Duzor, Wiesenberger, PassehlExcellence Symposium in Mathematics and Science, Chicago, IL 2013.
- Presentations related to the PhysTEC Project:
Speaker Series on Science Education
- Dr. Angela Kelly (Lehman College, CUNY) spoke on urban students' access to physics courses. 11/10
- Dr. Rowhea Elmesky (Washington University in St. Louis) spoke on sociocultural perspectives on urban science education. 4/11
- Dr. Eleanor Sayre (Wabash College) presented work on Physics Education Research and the use of oral exams. 3/11
- Dr. Stamatis Vokos (Seattle Pacific University) and Dr. Melanie Cooper (Clemson University) spoke on Physics Teacher Preparation and Chemistry Education at the Excellence Symposium on Mathematics and Science Teaching, hosted at Chicago State University. 2011
- Dr. Brian C. Baldwin from Kean University talked about using technology in the science education class, 4/17/12.
- Dr. George Bodner from Purdue University talked about problem-solving in science, 11/3/12.
- Dr. Laura Kost-Smith from Northwestern/U of Colorado talked about the gender gap in physics, 11/17/12.
- Jeffrey Hawkins from the University of Maine talked about formative assessment in physics, 10/20/12.
- Dr. Don Wink from University of Illinois - Chicago talked about reflection in learning and teaching, 11/12
- Dr. Angela Calebrese Barton from Michigan State University talked about Identity and Learning in Afterschool Science Programs, 10/12.
- Dr. Carol Baker, Director of Curriculum for Science and Music, District 218 and NGSS Writer talked about the Next Generation Science Standards, 2/13
- Dr. Noah Finkelstein from the University of Colorado talked about STEM and the National Education Transformation, 4/13
- Dr. Gay Stewart from the University of Arkansas and the American Association of Physics Teachers visited CSU to talk to faculty and students and presented her work at the Excellence Symposium on Mathematics and Science Teaching, hosted at Loyola University. 3/13