PERLOC Request for Proposals, Fall 2015, Due October 22, 2015
The Physics Education Research Leadership and Organizing Council (PERLOC) invites applications for PERTG grants. These grants are typically small ($200-$2000; total annual budget ~$10k), and support the activities of the PER community. If you've never submitted to PERTG, now is the time!
We typically have two solicitations per year in the Fall and in the Spring. This solicitation (Fall 2015) is intended for activities in the 1st half of 2015.
Please read this RFP carefully, as some of our instructions have changed.
Instructions for all proposals:
• Proposals are due by 5 PM Eastern on Thursday, October 22. Funding decisions will be shared during the first week of November.
• Proposals must be in PDF format, one PDF per proposal, with the last name of the proposer in the title of the file.
• Email proposals to email@example.com with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "PERTG grant proposal - F15".
• Your proposal should be not more than two pages long. Brevity and clarity are deeply appreciated.
• Only PERTG members in good standing are eligible to apply for grants.
Your proposal must include:
• Your name, institutional affiliation, and email address. Undergraduate students, graduate students, and post-docs must include their advisor's name.
• The name of the strand to which you are submitting.
• Motivation: Why is this project/travel important to you and to the community?
• Plan: What do you want to do? With whom? When? How long?
• Need: What other sources of funding are available to this project/travel?
• Budget: How much money are you requesting? What will you spend it on?
(Some strands may require additional parts.)
NOTE: If you are awarded a grant, you should plan to submit a one-page activities report after you engage in the funded activities.
This strand is intended to support travel to a professional conference; preference is given to presenters and to travelers to AAPT meetings. Partial support is more likely than full support; domestic grants are capped at $500, but international grants may be larger. Preference is given to junior or isolated members of the community. Historically, travel grant proposals have been somewhat shorter than one page, and we encourage similar brevity in this competition. If you submit to this strand, you must be the traveler; you may not submit to this strand on behalf of someone else.
This strand supports the creation of new collaborations by providing funds for one person to visit with another person or group. Either the visitor or the host may apply for this strand; however, both the visitor and the host must be identified by name. A letter from the host with hosting details (housing support, office space, in-person activities, remote activities, or other supporting information) must accompany the proposal and is not included in the page limit.
This strand supports conference and session organizers who wish to use PERTG funds to defray the costs for other people to attend conferences. Funds may be used to provide discount registration to graduate students or registrants of limited means, bring in invited speakers, fund conference activities, or similar; it is not intended that the organizers will personally financially benefit from these grants.
Innovation and community resource grants:
This strand supports other activities that are broadly useful or interesting to the PER community. We are particularly interested in projects that bring new people into the community, or help peripheral participants become more central. We are looking for projects that are imaginative and creative. For example, in Fall 2014, when this strand was created, PERLOC funded projects that involved the development of a transcription and coding tool and the creation of a podcast on PER community norms.
For additional guidance on this strand, you are invited (but not required) to chat with Mel Sabella (email@example.com) or other members of PERLOC before the submission deadline.
Examples of previously funded projects are available at:
- RFP Attachment (112kb .pdf)