In this section, find specialized resources for students in Middle School, High School, and College Level sections.
In our Middle School section, you can:
- Get advice on coursework which will help prepare you to pursue careers in Physics fields.
- Find suggested readings to find out more about the lives of famous Physicists.
- Discover resources to help you to explore Physics, at home and in the classroom.
In our High School section, you can:
- Get advice on coursework and activities which will help prepare you to pursue careers in Physics fields.
- Learn about fun ways to explore science while connecting with other students.
- Find information about Federal Student Aid and Physics programs, scholarships, and clubs.
In our College section, you can:
- Get advice on how to tailor your undergraduate Physics program to prepare you for specific fields.
- Find information about how to build skills and make connections through student organizations and job shadowing.
- Discover resources for helping you decide on a graduate school, or finding and landing that perfect job if you are interested in entering the workforce upon graduation.
Laura Smoliar - Program Manager
Laura Smoliar was never a stranger to the worlds of physics; her mother was a physicist as well. "Sometimes I'd get to go to her lab, " Smoliar said. "It was a fun place. There were lots of toys." For her undergraduate studies, she attended Colombia University, and then moved on to the University of California at Berkley where she earned her Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry. She lived in Taiwan during the final year of her doctoral research and the year afterwards. She describes the experience as inspiring.
After moving back to the states she found work in Silicon Valley. She was attracted to fast paced, diverse lifestyle and plentiful job opportunities. In 2001 she was asked to join Lightwave electronics in her current position.