Information for Educators
Physics teachers and professors are likely to be the only physicists your students know! So when they have questions about physics and what physicists do, they may come to you for advice. In this section you will find suggestions for ways in which you can cultivate your students' curiosity for learning more about how and why physicists study the world around them.
Tools and Resources
Why Study Physics Poster
APS and AAPT worked together to create a "Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Take Physics" poster. These posters (along with other educational posters) are available through the APS website at http://www.aps.org/programs/education/posters.cfm.
10. This is actually a joke; there is no way to get out of a black hole! But the APS outreach website PhysicsCentral has an article about this fascinating subject.
9. Many people who have studied physics report it helps them develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
7. This report shows that physics majors get among the highest MCAT scores, and the highest LSAT scores of all undergraduate majors.
5. Mathematics provide the tools physicists use to understand the world we live in. Nobel Prize winner Eugene Wigner explored this theme in a famous essay called The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences.
4. Almost a third of all physics bachelor's recipients who go into the private sector take engineering jobs. See more interesting physics employment facts.
3. Keivan Stassun explores the mysteries of the universe.
2. Without physics there would be no:
1. Physics makes you more attractive to university recruiters, future employers, and that cutie you have your eye on. (You'll just have to trust us on that last one).
David Sullivan - Engineer
In addition to his various positions within Raytheon, Sullivan is an active member of the community. He is a member of the Decision Making Committee for the Townview's Science and Engineering Magnet High School. Sullivan is an active member of his church, Freindship West Baptist, where he has been involved with the men's ministry and college groups. He has also been a coach for little league football.