Welcome to Statistical and Thermal Physics, a collection of information and resources for teachers of Statistical and Thermal Physics. The resources in this collection are supplements to standard Statistical and Thermal Physics textbooks and include student activities, background information, and applications. New users may create an account to personalize their use of the Statistical and Thermal Physics web site. This will allow them to suggest resources, add comments, and organize resources.
STP Featured Image
STP MD Approach To Equilibrium Three Partitions
Molecular dynamics simulation of particles initially confined to the center of a box (blue) and then allowed to spread through entire box.
Text, simulation and other resources for Statistical and Thermal Physics by H. Gould and J. Tobochnik.
- Chapter 1: From Microscopic to Macroscopic Behavior
- Chapter 2: Thermodynamic Concepts and Processes
- Chapter 3: Concepts of Probability
- Chapter 4: The Methodology of Statistical Mechanics
- Chapter 5: Magnetic Systems
- Chapter 6: Many-Particle Systems
- Chapter 7: Chemical Potential and Phase Equilibria
- Chapter 8: Classical Gases and Liquids
- Chapter 9: Landau Theory and the Renormalization Group
Multiple Coin Toss Model
The Multiple Coin Toss model displays the result of the flipping of N coins. It was created using the Easy Java Simulations (Ejs) modeling tool which allows a student to easily examine or modify the simulation if Ejs is installed.
Featured Filing Cabinet
Simulations to explore basic concepts of probability and applied to simple systems from Chapter 3 of Statistical and Thermal Physics.
Browse by Topic
This just in...
|Jul 28||Lennard-Jones 2D Metropolis Model|
|Apr 30||Student understanding of the ideal gas law, Part II: A microscopic perspective|
|Jan 8||Boltzmann Distribution from a Microcanonical Ensemble Model|
|Jan 4||Biophysics Course|