Physlets run in a Java-enabled browser on the latest Windows & Mac operating systems.
If Physlets do not run, click here for help on updating Java and setting Java security.
Problem 16.1: Hooke's law and simple harmonic motion
Please wait for the animation to completely load.
The spring can be stretched by click-dragging the blue ball as shown in the animation (position is given in meters and time is given in seconds). Once you have dragged the blue ball into position, click the "play" button to show the motion of the blue ball. Restart.
- Over what range of compression and stretching is Hooke's law valid?
- Find the elastic limit of the spring.
- Determine the spring constant of the spring.
- Determine the mass of the blue ball.
- Over what range of compression and stretching is the motion of the spring simple harmonic?