Physlets run in a Java-enabled browser on the latest Windows & Mac operating systems.
If Physlets do not run, click here for help on updating Java and setting Java security.
Problem 6.11: A modified Atwood's machine
Please wait for the animation to completely load.
A 2.5-kg cart on a low-friction track is connected to a string and a 0.5-kg hanging mass as shown in the animation. Neglect any effects of the pulley on the motion of the system (position is given in meters and time is given in seconds). Restart.
During the animation,
- What is the work done on the hanging mass due to the tension in the string?
- What is the work done on the hanging mass due to gravity?
- What is the work done on the cart due to the tension in the string?
- What is the work done on the cart due to gravity?
- What is the work done on the cart due to the normal force?
- What is the total amount of work done on the two-object system?
- What is the final kinetic energy of the two-object system?
Note that the coordinates for each object (the positive x direction) are already chosen for you.
Problem authored by Mario Belloni.
Script authored by Aaron Titus.