Java Security Update: Oracle has updated the security settings needed to run Physlets.
Click here for help on updating Java and setting Java security.
Exploration 8.6: An Explosive Collision
Please wait for the animation to completely load.
The system's total kinetic energy is increased in a 1200-J explosion in the animation (position is given in meters and time is given in seconds). Restart.
Use a mass ratio of 1:2 for the following questions.
- Draw energy diagrams for the system before and after the explosion.
- What percentage of the explosion's energy is converted to kinetic energy?
- What percentage of the explosion's energy is usable as kinetic energy?
- Is the process shown in the animation reversible?
Vary the mass of the left cart from 0.1 kg to 1.0 kg for the following questions.
- Does the larger or the smaller mass receive the most energy?
- Does the larger or the smaller mass receive the most momentum?
- Does the ratio of the two masses have any effect on the total resulting kinetic energy?
- Does the ratio of the two masses have any effect on the recoverable energy?