Java Security Update: Oracle has updated the security settings needed to run Physlets.
Click here for help on updating Java and setting Java security.
Exploration 27.1: Map Field Lines and Determine Forces
Please wait for the animation to completely load.
In the animation there is an object underneath the gray circle that creates a magnetic field. Restart.
- Use the compass to determine the direction of the magnetic field. Sketch the vector field and the field lines for each configuration.
- Check your field-line diagrams by double-clicking on the animation to show a field line at the location of the mouse.
Add a wire with current coming out of the screen (electrons moving into the screen). Click-drag the wire to move it around. The arrow shows the direction of the force on the wire.
- Explain why the force vector points the way it does at two different locations of the wire for each configuration.
- If the current was in the other direction, what direction would the force be at the two locations you chose? Explain.
- Check your answer by adding a wire with current going into the screen.
Exploration authored by Anne J. Cox.