The Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PTEC) is a network of institutions - more than 250 in number - committed to improving the education of future physics and physical science teachers. PTEC is a major component of the PhysTEC project, which is led by the American Physical Society and the American Association of Physics Teachers.
- Build a network of institutions engaged in reforming physics teacher education
- Promote and disseminate successful programs, methods, and ideas
- Advocate nationally for improving science teacher education
PTEC membership is available to institutions including colleges, universities, research labs, and nonprofits committed to improving secondary and elementary physics and physical science teacher preparation. Membership benefits include:
- Reduced fees to attend PTEC conferences and workshops
- Publication and dissemination opportunities
- Teacher education news and funding opportunities via the PTEC email list
- Advocacy from APS/AAPT leadership for teacher education programs
In order to take advantage of membership benefits, PTEC members must have active status. To achieve and maintain active status, members must provide updated program information on an annual basis. Program information includes the number of physics teachers that have graduated from the member's institution during each of the past three years, and information for the institution's PTEC webpage.
Joining PTEC is free. Just follow the simple directions.
PTEC CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
PTEC organizes conferences and workshops, including:
- The PTEC national conference, which brings together national leaders and the teacher preparation community for two days of workshops and networking
- Topical workshops that provide an opportunity for in-depth learning about a specific program, instrument, curriculum or other topic relevant to teacher preparation
- Regional workshops to promote collaboration within a state university system or geographic area
- Invited Sessions at AAPT Meetings, organized in cooperation with the AAPT Committee for Teacher Preparation
PTEC ONLINE RESOURCES
The PTEC website offers resources for faculty and master teachers engaged in teacher education, including:
- A digital collection of teacher education resources, including presentations and materials from past conferences and workshops. If you are engaged in teacher preparation, please consider submitting your resources to the PTEC Collection.
- A collection of PTEC member institution profiles
- Updates on physics teacher education events, news, and funding opportunities
- A national map of professional development opportunities for physics teachers