Here are key elements of Hofstra's science teacher education program:
1. Joint programs for preparing K-12 teachers with the School of Education and Allied Human Services.
2. Hofstra University Observatory, a teaching observatory developed with partial support of NSF; one third of all undergraduates take a course in Astronomy. In addition, we offer an Astronomy minor to all students, including our Physics majors.
3. Active outreach--we and other science departments support the School of Education IDEAS institute, which focuses on teaching and public science education. The Hofstra University Observatory also sponsors a "Stars on Sundays" series for the public. Undergraduates also help support an active summer research program for HIgh School students
4. Research participation for more than half of our Physics majors. Students have presented their work at regional and national professional conferences.
5. An innovative approach to the traditional "Junior Lab", in which students construct their own experimental apparatus.