Technical Education Research Centers (TERC)
2067 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02140
We imagine a future in which learners from diverse communities engage in creative, rigorous, and reflective inquiry as an integral part of their lives. We see teachers and students alike as members of vibrant communities where questioning, problem solving, and experimentation are commonplace. Such communities focus on actual problems for which there are no simple solutions.
TERC is committed to achieving this vision by improving mathematics and science teaching and learning through:
* sustained collaboration with members of the education community;
* innovation and creativity in the development of educational practices and products;
* cutting-edge research in classrooms and other learning environments;
* support for rich and engaging learning opportunities for all students, including underserved student populations
* invention and application of technology to meet educational needs
* implementation that responds to the complexities of real-world settings
* approaches that draw on perspectives and methods from the natural sciences, mathematics, humanities, arts, and social sciences
* continuous refinement of our practice and understanding
Our work in mathematics and science education includes research, curriculum and technology development, and implementation support in the form of professional development and assistance to districts and schools. Our programs span pre-kindergarten through college, and include adult basic education and informal learning at museums, at home, and in after-school programs. Research drives the development of our activities and products. It also informs our efforts to create new knowledge about science and math teaching and learning.